Tuesday, April 6, 2010

10 minute recipe - Indian Style Pancake

Hope all my readers had a great weekend...wonder how many folks got an Apple Ipad...I didnt!!! But then, I am technologically - challenged...dont even use my cell phone to its fullest potential...sigh!!! And I dont even want to move out of the dark ages into the more technologically advanced world of today:)) I am sorry that I cannot understand all the excitement behind every new and cool gadget...I do buy gadgets...but only if I can justify to myself that it will add value to my life...thankfully the kids are not old enough to get all hyped-up about every new tech invention...I have a few more years of peace:)) Of course, I do get excited when Apple's stock price moves...while others probably dont understand my level of excitement there...

Anyways, that, I promise is my only random, bears-no-connection-to-anything-whatsoever thought of the day...and here is a recipe for a really quick 10-minute (South)Indian style pancake...it is a variation of the vella dosai that is commonly prepared in south-indian homes...my mom would make it often when I was a kid and it was a wonderful snack/breakfast that I looked forward to, even in those days, filled with strong likes and dislikes when it came to food...I continue to like it even today and luckily for me, the kids like it too...so I do make it at home quite often.

This south-indian style pancake goes to the Pancakes event over at Priya's Easy n Tasty Recipes...also sending it to Priya's CWS - Cardamom seeds event...

Recipe for South Indian Pancakes(jaggery dosa):
Serves: 7 to 8 pancakes(depending on size)
Prep/cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients-
Whole wheat flour - 1 1/2 cups
Semolina/cream of wheat/rava - 1/4 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup crushed(could also use cane sugar)
Cardamom - 1tsp powdered
Cooking oil(or clarified butter aka ghee) - 1/2 tsp for each pancake
For topping(optional) - 1 banana sliced and roasted lightly in cooking oil or clarified butter/ghee

Method:
In a pan, add enough water to just submerge the crushed jaggery and then let the mixture come to a boil...will take 3 to 4 minutes on medium-high flame...set aside to cool.

In another mixing bowl, mix all the flours alongwith powdered cardamom...add the jaggery mixture and mix well to ensure there are no lumps in the batter.

Take a skillet and add a ladleful of batter to it...spread in circle (as prefered) and cook on a medium-high flame for a minute or two..and then flip the pancake with a spatula and cook until both sides are golden brown.

Serve with an optional topping of sliced bananas roasted(in oil/ghee) or as is.

35 comments:

  1. My grand mom used to make these, absolutely yummy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so quick and yummy pancakes,...i have never made these but got to try this as it looks delicious and so easy as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this pancakes sounds interesting and yumm..thanks for sending Meena, if u are interested can also send this same entry for my another event regarding cardamom seeds, since u have used cardamom powder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these sound delicious to me. Thanks for sharing a simple yet tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good n inviting...I wanna try this...thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pancakes..loved the look look of ur blog..fresh..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make similar one,without sooji,sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not get an iPad either so join the club!

    These look delicious. I could so go for one of them right now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so heavenly...yummy. My ajji makes Surnoli (konkani pancakes) which is in the same lines...thanks for sharing the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so simple and healthy as you have used wheat flour and jaggery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good one Meena :)

    http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though I'm also ,what you say, tech challenged , I love all those amazing gadgets that Apple launches :-)
    BTW nice recipe Meena :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iam crazy about gadgets,but it depends upon individuals getting excited about it.Quick n an easy pancake to make in no time,looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's a fantastic version of the pancakes, richly flavoured with cardamoms!! adding jaggery to it is interesting too!!! btw for buying gadgets I 'm the same :) I don't use anything which is not indispensable to me... but I love technology !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I make these often, but without rava in it, will try your version sometime ! The vella dosai looks yum and loved the new look of your site too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. really a lovely and easy to make dish...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. simple and delicious pancakes....looks perfect and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh the pancakes sound really good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds very nice.. is this the vellam dosa??

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comment on my blog. You have a good space here... unique pancake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks yummy and its simple to make too..... please collect ur award from my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Meena, pancakes look very delicious and inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow. This recipe reminds me of my grandma who used to make this for me as evening tiffin when I'm back from school...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Meena,


    jaggary pancake looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love pancakes, one f my fav Sunday breakfast.. this recip sounds too good

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi all, great to hear there are other people out there who dont get hyped-up about these new gadget releases...i love gadgets too...just dont want them to take over my life!

    swarnavalli and ann, welcome to my space!

    ReplyDelete
  27. R, thanks for the awrd...will pick it up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey thats a nice one....i love cakes...its awesome...
    U have got so many awwrds????? wow that was great...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails