Saturday, February 6, 2010

Spice - on - Demand: Homemade Spice mix #1 (Indian Rasam powder)





Though most spice mixes I use regularly in my Indian cooking are easily available in Asian Indian grocery stores nowadays, I still like to make  my own set of spice mixes once in a while when I do have the luxury of finding the time to do it.

I do think the spice mixes available readymade in stores are fresh enough...but when I get to make it at home, of course I control the proportion of the spice ingredients, according to what I like.

So, for anyone who wishes to do the same, here is the recipe for an instant spice mix that I keep ready most of the time. It is called Rasam powder and is available in the Asian Indian grocery stores under different brand names, all of which are OK.

I use Rasam powder - usually 1 or 2 tsp when I prepare traditional Indian Rasam (a spicy, tangy clear soup - for which I shall post the recipe soon). It is great for cold winter nights, served with rice.

I also use the Rasam powder for seasoning Indian gravy-based curries, especially when the recipe is tangy in nature...sometimes I also use the Rasam powder in vegetable side dishes... again 1 or 2 tsp takes the veggies up a notch.


Recipe for Indian Spice Mix - Rasam powder:


For one - time use (in a single recipe):-
*****************************

Ingredients-


Coriander seeds(dhania) - 2 tbsp
Cummin seeds(jeera) - 1/2 tsp
Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Toor / Toovar dal (Indian split red gram lentils) - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chillies - 2 to 3
Asafoetida(aka hing) - a pinch
Indian curry leaves - 2 or 3


Method:
Dry roast all the above ingredients in a non - stick frying pan with a tiny bit (less than 1/2 tsp) of cooking oil till the lentils turn golden brown and the cummin seeds start crackling. Set aside to cool.


Once the roasted ingredients are cooled, blend into a fine powder using a coffee/spice grinder.



For using several times(stays fresh for a month or two atleast in air-tight container)
*************************************************************
Ingredients-

Coriander seeds(dhania) - 2 large handfuls
Cummin seeds(jeera) - 2tsp
Black pepper - 1tsp
Toor / Toovar dal (Indian split red gram lentils) - 2 tsp
Dry Red chillies - 8 to 10
Asafoetida(aka hing) - a pinch
Indian curry leaves - 6 or 7

Dry roast all the above ingredients in a non - stick frying pan with a 1/2tsp of cooking oil till the lentils turn golden brown and the cummin seeds start crackling. Set aside to cool.

Once the roasted ingredients are cooled, blend into a fine powder using a coffee/spice grinder.

Store in an air-tight container...stays fresh for atleast 1 to 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails